Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis
Experiential Learning Program Details
|School||Northern Illinois University (NIU)|
|Engagement Format||Live Case - Think "Hackathon" or Case Competition with a whole class of students! This learning format allows educators to deliver experiential learning to students at scale. Students are often split into groups to work on a live case (or a series of cases) from a real host company that directly relates to key learning objectives.|
|Course||Business in Action, Spring 2021 (Gorham)|
|Meeting Day & Time||Jacie: Online, Mondays & Wednesday 3:30 - 4:45 PM CT | Jason: Hybrid, Tuesday & Thursday 2:00 - 3:15 PM CT|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||2 Hours|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Type|
Students select their preferred project
|February 2nd, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity, will web conference into class to launch the projects. Expect to dedicate 1-hour per section. Flexible to move this to the following week if necessary.
|February 9th, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity, to web conference into class to launch the projects. Expect to dedicate 1-hour per section. Flexible to move this to around. Ideally between second and third deliverable
|March 23rd, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity to web conference (or visit) class to hear final presentations and provide feedback.
|April 13th, 2021||Event na|
Key Project Milestones
February 22, 2021 - Deep Dive into Habitat for Humanity & ReStore
- What is Habitat for Humanity?
- How is it run? How does the affiliate network operate?
- What is the ReStore? How does it relate to Habitat for Humanity?
- Review Habitat.org (umbrella agency)
- Review RockfordHabitat.org (local org / project partner)
- Review Internal Communication Network / Intranet “My Habitat”
- See Attachments for Login Credentials!
- Bonus: Go visit the Rockford ReStore
- Attend: ReStore Orientation, Retore 101 Course
Prepare an in-class presentation on your understanding of Habitat for Humanity and the ReStore Model
March 12, 2021 - Analyze and Visualize Inventory and Other Financial Trends
- Which inventory segments have the highest value per transaction sales?
- Which product categories are repeat customers buying from?
- How quickly does inventory move in each of the product categories?
- Using an agreed upon set of KPI’s, what are the top 5 performing categories?
- What other financial trends do you see? How can you help to visualize those?
Financial Data Analysis – Delineate between accounting systems of non-profit versus a traditional retail store:
- What are the key differences between accounting systems of non-profit versus a traditional retail store?
- What financial data is tracked?
- What are the key differences in the financial reports?
- Key performance indicators and metrics for tracking and measuring performance?
- Review financial statement exports from QuickBooks
Conduct a financial deep dive:
- What are the sources of revenue and expenses?
- What trends can you identify in sales?
- How is inventory categorized?
- inventory revenue?
- patterns in inventory flow (e.g. turnover)?
Develop a report and visualization on inventory flow and develop a report based on your new understanding of Rockford Habitat for Humanity’s Financial Statements and Inventory Deep Dive
April 22, 2021 - Create a Plan for Adding Value to ReStore Marketing Campaigns to Customers and Donors
How can the results from the analysis be used to optimize inventory decision-making, such as:
- allocating showroom floor space (square footage) to higher performing goods?
- informing customer segmentation and marketing strategies?
- meeting the needs of customers and improve customer service?
Develop an inventory optimization report and plan to use this data to help improve customer service, customer retention, donor relationships, and inventory management
There are no resources currently available
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
There are currently no students assigned.