Habitat Young Professionals (HYP) are grassroots volunteers who work within local Habitat chapters to create change in their communities. Through the diverse demographic of young professionals and their talents, chapters create unity in sharing the vision of Habitat for Humanity. The Rockford Habitat for Humanity aims to launch a local HYP chapter and would like to ask for your help in developing a targeted recruitment, on-boarding, and retention strategy for young professionals in the Rockford community.
Experiential Learning Program Details
|School||Northern Illinois University (NIU)|
|Engagement Format||Live Case - Think "Hackathon" or Case Competition with a whole class of students! This learning format allows educators to deliver experiential learning to students at scale. Students are often split into groups to work on a live case (or a series of cases) from a real host company that directly relates to key learning objectives.|
|Course||Business in Action, Spring 2021 (Gorham)|
|Meeting Day & Time||Jacie: Online, Mondays & Wednesday 3:30 - 4:45 PM CT | Jason: Hybrid, Tuesday & Thursday 2:00 - 3:15 PM CT|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||2 Hours|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Type|
Students select their preferred project
|February 2nd, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity, will web conference into class to launch the projects. Expect to dedicate 1-hour per section. Flexible to move this to the following week if necessary.
|February 9th, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity, to web conference into class to launch the projects. Expect to dedicate 1-hour per section. Flexible to move this to around. Ideally between second and third deliverable
|March 23rd, 2021||Event na|
Keri, Project Champion from Habitat for Humanity to web conference (or visit) class to hear final presentations and provide feedback.
|April 13th, 2021||Event na|
Key Project Milestones
February 22, 2021 - Deep Dive into Habitat for Humanity & ReStore
- What is Habitat for Humanity?
- How is it run? How does the affiliate network operate?
- What is the ReStore? How does it relate to Habitat for Humanity?
- Review Habitat.org (umbrella agency)
- Review RockfordHabitat.org (local org / project partner)
- Review Internal Communication Network / Intranet “My Habitat”
- See Attachments for Login Credentials!
- Bonus: Go visit the Rockford ReStore
- Attend: ReStore Orientation, Retore 101 Course
Prepare an in-class presentation on your understanding of Habitat for Humanity and the ReStore Model
March 12, 2021 - Identify Strategies for Engaging Volunteer Prospects
- What is Rockford Habitat for Humanity looking for in recruits for the HYP Program? What particular characteristics and skills do they possess?
- Where are these target supporters found (e.g. college campuses, professional organizations, clubs)?
- What are the best channels for reaching these young professionals?
- What are effective tactics for engaging young professionals in volunteerism?
- Considering the benefits of HYP membership, how can HYP respond to unmet needs or wants of young professionals in the Rockford area?
- How does the social ecology of Rockford create recruitment opportunities for the Rockford HYP program?
Deep Dive on the HYP Program and its Volunteer System
- What is the relationship between HYP and Habitat for Humanity?
- What is the size and geographic distribution of the HYP organization?
- What is the purpose of the HYP Program? What are the program objectives?
- What roles do volunteers perform?
- What are some of the ways local HYP organizations engage their volunteers?
- How have other chapters of Habitat for Humanity rolled out successful HYP programs?
- What does the HYP program offer young professionals who volunteer for this program?
- What is Humanity looking for in recruits for the HYP Program?
- Who is responsible for recruitment at Rockford?
- What are the recruitment goals?
Develop a volunteer recruitment strategy for Rockford’s Habitat for Humanity’s HYP Program and develop a report and presentation on Habitat for Humanity’s HYP Volunteer Program
April 22, 2021 - Propose a HYP Launch Strategy
- What must the Rockford’s Habitat for Humanity leadership consider when trying to launch the HYP Program?
- How would you recommend recruiting volunteers for the program? What tactics do you suggest for reaching the target audience (e.g. digital marketing, special events, in-person outreach, volunteer platforms, school/company partnerships, etc.)
- What messages/content would most effectively motivate the target audience to volunteer?
- How can Rockford HYP assess the effectiveness of their recruitment strategies?
- What resources are required to launch the HYP Program?
- What benefits would Rockford’s Habitat for Humanity experience through a successful launch of the HYP Program?
Develop a HYP Launch strategy, including recommended recruitment tactics and program goals
There are no resources currently available
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
There are currently no students assigned.