Our data pipelines include data from different healthcare systems, which record and transmit similar types of data in different ways.
Ex: transactional medication data across a patient/med life cycle
– Initial doctor order, with clearly documented dose, frequency, start date, reason, and code set backing the name
– patient reports that medication to another doctor, name is different, no code set backing the name, dose/frequency not recorded
– patient reports that medication to the ER, name is different (again), no code set backing the name, dose/frequency are recorded
– patient is discharged from the hospital, told to continue that medication, slightly different code set from the initial order
– sees initial doctor again, dose/frequency of medication is changed
Software Design & Development
Experiential Learning Program Details
|School||University of the District of Columbia (UDC)|
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Meeting Day & Time||Monday and Wednesday 4:30pm-5:50pm|
|Student Time Commitment||4-7 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||1 Hour|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Type|
Key Project Milestones
February 21, 2020 - KICKOFF MEETING @ 9:30 AM PT / 12:30 PM ET
Susanne, the VH’s founder will web conference into class to discuss her product, vision, and the project scope
Prepare for kickoff meeting by familiarizing yourself with VH’s website: https://www.vesselhealth.io
March 6, 2020 - Get Up-To-Speed on Vessel Health's Product Configuration & Data Model
- Explore: VH Demo Account:
- What does VH product do?
- Who is the VH primary user? Are there other users?
- What data is included in the account?
- What information might be missing?
- Would you use a platform like this? How?
- Get up-to-speed on healthcare data systems:
- Where does healthcare data live?
- What are the major domains of healthcare data?
- What kind of structure is used to organize the data?
- What standards exist for this type of data? (Consider: Privacy, HIPAA Compliance)
- What types of challenges exist with interoperability?
- What are the economic incentives for organizations in the healthcare market to comply and integrate with other systems?
- Explore: HL7 or FHIR Documentation
- https://www.hl7.org/fhir/overview.html (FHIR & HL7 website)
Prepare for Q&A with VH’s Executive Leadership Team
- Explore: VH Demo Account:
March 27, 2020 - Mapping & Roll-up Process Proposal for Medication Data
- What is the similarity matching problem in VH’s system?
- What existing techniques are relevant to the similarity matching problem?
- Propose approach to similarity matching problem to support required mapping roll-up functions
April 17, 2020 - PROGRESS REPORT: Mapping & Roll-up Process Proposal for Medication Data
- What data is included in the transactional data table?
- What method can be used to satisfy the example mapping?
- What are some additional edge cases to consider?
- Develop description or sample code that would be able to review transactional medication information
- Ideally, the output should be comprehensive for an average consumer using the product
- Prepare for Q&A with VH Team
May 8, 2020 - Refine and Finalize Mapping & Roll-up Process Proposal for Medication Data
- How can your methodology be improved?
- What else can be done with this data?
- Submit Report on Findings
- Discuss Follow-on Work to be Done
There are no resources currently available