Capstone – Project
Process Optimization for Organ Transplant, Recovery Teams and Surgeons
A Collaboration Between
LifeGift is looking to optimize its Organ Donation process by researching, prioritizing, and analyzing key issues surrounding operations at LifeGift. The consultant will gain an understanding of LifeGift and the Organ Donation ecosystem as a whole. The consultant is expected to interview several stakeholders to identify key pain points and areas of opportunity for LifeGift to improve its processes and operations.
Specific Gaps & Issues to keep in mind:
- There is a key visualization gap
- Time delays (Scheduling + Surgeon Time Waste)
- Transportation Failure
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
Experiential Learning Program Details
|Engagement Format||Capstone - Small Team Consulting Project - Students work in small groups of 2-6 directly with faculty and host company project champions on developing real solutions to real-world challenges.|
|Students Enrolled||30 students|
|Meeting Day & Time||M 2:00-4:00pm Central, T 8;00-10:00am Central, W 8:00-10:00am Central, TR 6:30-8:30pm Central|
|Student Time Commitment||1-3 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||1 Hour|
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Submission|
Key Project Milestones
October 16, 2020 - Immersion & Orientation
Immersion and Understanding of the Organ Transplant and Donation Ecosystem
The goal is to gain a deep understanding of:
- Terminology used in the Organ Transplant and Donation field (including language that is specific to LifeGift)
- The organ procurement transplant network such as Donors, Procurement Methods, Transplant Groups
- Geography and system that LifeGift works in to gain a baseline
- Policies that must be adhered to (OPCAN?) as they relate to transportation
The consultant will provide an executive summary including observations & questions based on research done to this point.
November 13, 2020 - Virtual Discovery Interview
The consultant will conduct Discovery Interviews with the following groups/individuals to understand processes, pain points, and specific situations and problems.
Strategic Leaders (minimum 4 interviews):
Operations (minimum 4 interviews):
- Performance Operations
- Organ Operations
- Quality Systems
- Performance Improvement
Front Line Resources (minimum 4 interviews):
Organ Placement Center ‘Nerve Center’ (minimum 2 interviews)
- Interview 1: With the Managing Director for a specified area
- Interview 2: Observational interview to listen into Organ Offers and Cases
The consultant will synthesize interview data and provide an executive summary including observations to prioritize optimization efforts in upcoming milestones.
Action: Consultant to schedule a meeting with LifeGift and CapSource to share executive summary and discuss next steps based on final prioritization of consultants findings.
November 30, 2020 - Optimization Analysis - Business Model, Metrics, and Finances
Specific Focus Area to be decided after completion of Milestones 1 & 2.
Interview with LifeGift CFO
- Plan to discuss findings from Milestone 2 and dig into the numbers to determine cost savings, improved efficiency, and process improvement based on data and knowledge of the CFO
- Use this opportunity to refine knowledge of identified issues and pain points to help prioritize focus for Milestone 4
Interview with Performance Improvement Group
- Understanding transportation modes through the process, volume, activity, and cost (i.e. How many times do you have a flight that gets canceled or delays and standby fees must be paid… How do you solve for this?)
The consultant will provide an analysis of time delays, observations, opportunities for improvement and a selection will be made to create a detailed Business Case and Action Plan for one of the recommended items the Consultant identified in previous milestones.
There are no resources currently available